The Resource Centre of NIFT Delhi has rich collections of print and non-print reference materials. Its collections pertaining to fashion studies and research, inherited from the National Resource Centre established in 1987, are unparalleled in the Indian sub-continent.
Its integrated collections of materials and print resources support the teaching and research programmes of the Institute. The Resource Centre also provides fee-based information services to the industry and entrepreneurs as well as the researchers, faculty and students of other educational institutions. The leading designer houses, domestic and export companies of NCR are privileged members of the Resource Centre. It also caters to the information needs of a significant number of casual non-members comprising of researchers and entrepreneurs from all over India and abroad.
The Resource Centre (RC) has rich collections of print and non-print materials including audio-visual materials, textiles, costumes, fashion accessories and related items.
- Highly selective collection of print and non-print materials pertaining to core areas of studies such as Design, Fashion, Textiles, History of costumes, Life style Accessories, Apparel Construction & Production, International trade, Management and Marketing. Sizeable literature on related areas like Advertising, Visual & Performing arts etc.
- The print collection also includes leading international and national magazines and journals pertaining to fashion studies and related disciplines.
- The RC subscribes to leading online international databases and periodicals. The subscriptions include Just-style.com, Proquest’s ABI/Inform Complete, Design & Applied Art Index (DAAI), Apparel Resources.com and a host of other online resources.
- The audio-visual materials in DVDs, CDs, slides & videos are primarily used as teaching aid. The materials pertain to history of costumes, history of art, fashion illustration etc.; lessons on garment manufacturing and design collections of NIFT graduates.
- The most valuable reference collection of RC is the Forecast Collection. NIFT Delhi subscribes to the largest number of forecast services namely, Doneger Creative Services(DCS), Promostyl, Maglieria etc. DCS is available both online and in print. Access to WGSN is provided to students and faculty at the Design Studio.
- The reference collection of RC also comprise newspaper clippings; trade catalogues from manufacturing industries and retailers; manuals, company profiles; standards, and other information sources.
Other Non-print materials
- RC Delhi has the rich collections of designer clothings, regional costumes of India and other countries. International collections in NRC and RC Delhi include works of eminent designers such as YSL, Chanel, Armani, Christian Dior, Dolce & Gabbana. Among Indian designers there are Ritu Kumar, Hemant Trivedi, Rohit Bal, Sunit Verma & several others. Creations of alumni of NIFT Delhi, now leading designers – J. J. Valaya, Manish Arora, Rajesh Pratap Singh, Gitanjali Kashyap, Sunita Shankar and many others are showcased here.
The image database of the costume collection is under construction.
- The Textiles collection in RC has fully documented and methodically arranged collections of fabrics (displayed fabric and region-wise), export fabrics and latest international fabrics procured from leading trend services. The RC also has collections of Fashion Accessories, Findings Collection containing all the materials required to complete a garment. The Swatch library of RC Delhi is the largest in NIFT.