Use Online Resources for Research
You may begin your research with browsing the list of the Online Databases & Periodicals for academic /scholarly papers on the NRC website. You can access e-books at https://nift.ac.in/nrc/ebooks and also use multiple Open Access Resources. You may also refer to the online public access catalogue of books of your Resource Centre via https://eg4.nic.in/NIFT/OPAC/Default.aspx. The catalogues of theses, dissertations and graduation research projects are also accessible through the same web link.
Citing your sources of information is an essential part of research as it authenticates the findings of your research and adds academic value to your writings. The practice of citing the print or electronic sources you refer to in a list of references or/and a bibliography also helps you to avoid plagiarism.
Harvard Referencing Style
NIFT recommends use of the Harvard style of referencing for writing thesis for its PhD programme. The Harvard style of citation is also known as “author-date” style and has multiple variations. You may refer to the BIS standard IS 2381: 2014 for the basic rules with examples for in-text referencing and list of references in the preferred Harvard system. You may also use the Harvard Referencing Generator for citing documents in the preferred citation style.
Other Citation Styles
Other leading styles of citation for referencing in a research paper, article or book chapter are listed below:
All the subscribed online databases of NIFT include citation tools for generating citations in multiple styles such as AMA, APA, Chicago, Harvard, MLA and others. The number of citation styles supported by each database varies. The databases of the aggregators such as Ebscohost and Proquest offer facilities to generate citations in Harvard referencing style also. Please select the cite option displayed on the screen to generate references in the desired style for your list of references or bibliography.
You may also use the quick citation generators listed below to get references in multiple citation styles. However, it is always advisable to check the results of citation generators for accuracy before using the same in your writings.
Some popular open citation generators are listed below:
What is plagiarism ? Please visit http://www.plagiarism.org for details.
Ouriginal (also known as Urkund) anti-plagiarism system is used in all NIFT campuses. You may visit the weblink at https://secure.urkund.com/account/auth/login for log in
Please contact your faculty or the Research cell/ the concerned dept. in your campus for using the anti-plagiarism system.
Other Research Support Services
All the Resource Centres (RCs) provide the following services to support the students in their research work:
- Students, research scholars and faculty can approach the library through email, phone or Social Media apps for any help in their research. You can also approach the Resource Centre professional staff in person for queries related to your research topics.
- Support and guidance to write research reports such as, dissertations, theses, internship reports, etc., are provided on request.
- Topical/subject bibliographies of books and e-Books in the collections of the Campus library are compiled on request. Lists of relevant articles/research papers and other resources are also provided on request.
- Help in accessing full text electronic academic papers/articles is provided by the staff of the Resource Centres whenever requested.
- Books and other documents from other libraries are also arranged through inter- library loan facilities or network such as DELNET by specific RCs.
- Proactive alert services from select online databases are also set up for the researchers.